Memento Mori

Memento Mori

 Memento Mori is a Latin phrase meaning 'remember you must die'.
A basic Memento Mori would be a portrait with a skull but
other symbols commonly found are hours glasses or clocks, extinguished
or guttering candles, fruit, and flowers.

Why do I use this term?

If you follow some of my other social media offerings, you may have noticed some commentary that is about mortality.  In my first year of the Cancer Journey, I had 9 treatments and 3 surgeries, my doctor wasn't talking much about outcomes - he stated it was about control and containment.

When I was told that I had cancer, the board that we had written down all the future plans and ideas, was completely erased. Of course, this board existing only in our minds.  It was our dreams of where to go and what to do, to consider that plans and ideas, just evaporated.

We had to look at life differently.

I was seeing someone for my mental health - I don't want to guess at what his actual training was - I called him "my mental health twit".  After months of routine appointments, where he had said he wasn't sure if he was helping or what to do with me......Then one day, he had his moment - he looks at me and says "I have it figured out, you aren't concerned about your military career!".  I replied with "No, I have Cancer - I am concerned I will die".

I never went back.

Looking back now, I better understand the concept of Memento Mori - 'Remember you will die'.  

It pairs well with Memento Vivere

Memento Vivere is translated from Latin meaning 'remember to live'
Memento Mori objects and images were intended to simultaneously serve as Memento Vivere,
reminders to live, and live as well as you can.

There is a Canadian Veteran Owned company that put it on a shirt or 2.  Check out Mad Hatter Industries and follow some of their influencers, or sign up for their newsletter to get a discount code.  They are very community supportive both through donations, and collaborations with other like minded organizations.  

I need to better sort my future self out, and live my best life.  That is part of why I went this direction on a new blog - less about cancer, more about the lessons I am in the process of learning.

thanks for following along, please consider putting your email address in and get these updates emailed to you.

Here is a video update version of this exact thing.



Comments