Book Review and Philosophical pondering - Ghost Rider

Completely not associated with the comic book or movie character - AT ALL. 

I have normally stayed away from biographical books, but this one was recommended by a friend.  Which is pretty much the only method that they will get my interest.   He is a RUSH fan, and a rider – so I wasn’t surprised it was in his collection.  I look at books from a different perspective, and this one got me more on the book title.  Ghost Rider: Travels on a Healing Road.

Those that don’t know - Neil Peart was the drummer for the Canadian Rock band RUSH.  In the late 90s, his daughter was killed in a car crash, and 10 months later his wife passed from Cancer.  This launched him on a motorcycle journey of epic proportions.

I won’t go into a breakdown of the book, but hit the highlights of what raised my eyebrows.  There were 2 main concepts that I found memorable, as well as an enjoyable feature.

The first main concept that I found enlightening was how he discussed his feelings and emotions as various personalities.  I feel that I do something similar, and it did resonate with me. I do make references occasionally to my “alter egos” or other personalities.  I didn’t realize how developed his were, and they did make sense of what individual quirks made up each personality.

Now, as a fairly famous person – some of what he did was part of being incognito as John Ellwood Taylor.  This mashup of his significant others maiden name, his middle name, etc.  Now, some of the things he did – including credit cards in that name likely won’t make it through the many fraud prevention digital filters of today - helped him with his anonymity.  It also allowed him to use that personality to live a new life (in his mind) while Neil mourned.

The more entertaining personality was “The Ghost Rider”.  Like my more charming self, Dead Nought, The Ghost Rider was the wanderlust nomad that ensured a good time was had on two wheels.  Decisions that were made by the Ghost Rider, were usually in direct contravention of what John Ellwood Taylor (JET), or Neil would have approved of, but hey – haven’t been down that road before.

As a foodie, Chef Ellwood was the gourmand who enjoyed good food, nice whiskeys, and culinary experimentation.  Chef Ellwood also had some interesting new regulations when thrust back into bachelorhood – such as the evening dishes are required to sit in the sink until the next morning – no exceptions.  He had a few tales of guests being shocked at such policies, which made me laugh as I know exactly what he meant as I can imagine my wife’s own reactions would be amazingly similar if she discovered I operated that way if she is away for more than a couple days.  I do have my own kitchen personality – but I have never thought about giving him a name.  He does enjoy culinary experiments, and has yet to meet a scotch that he truly dislikes.   

The more interesting personalities that he made reference to was Giai, the inner 14 year old girl that was still shy and timid, likes pop music and probably encourages Ellwood's "Hollywood Party Boy" and "Romantic Superhero" into fangirl action.

The second concept was when he listed his 5 main philosophy points of rebuilding yourself.  If you read the book, you connect with how much he felt like he was at his lowest point ever.  What I do connect with is that I have somewhat developed my own philosophy points while rebuilding myself as part of my cancer journey.  Of course – his points are more articulate and thought provoking – mine are still a jumble of doodles.  His points:

1. Keep moving – means do shit, and keep doing it, even if it scares you a bit.

2. Kick your own ass gently - set goals, endeavor to achieve them.  

3. Allow others the privilege of helping you – if it makes you life easier, let them do their part.

4. Replay Syndrome - you will get into an endless loop of negativity that will feed itself, tell yourself to fuckoff

5. Make peace with others where you can – people impacted by the same situation, I am out of it and may have offended -sorry bout that.

Where these resonate is that I have other friends who have taken large healing journeys and have developed some of their own – such as Mike Terry who articulated some of his during a rebel rebel podcast last year (insert link).  The first one Mike identified was about enjoying the view, not trying to find the perfect photo etc. This pointed out that we have to remember how memories are made, based on the experiences we have.

I have made some of my own revelations, even going back to watching the movie “One Week”  - not recommended during the convalescence immediately following the surgery from the second cancer recurrence FYI – and how it adjusted my thinking.  It even led to tattoos.

The interesting feature that I found enjoyable was how he ended each chapter with some philosophical quotes which were actually lyrics.  That has given me a better appreciation for the RUSH discography and I find myself doing better at using my premium Spotify subscription for more music than podcasts.

In summary,
The book is good, and I found many facets that would help a mental health journey as it shows how he went through his "healing journey".  The mentality that I took when reading this book and noticing how he did things, was to find parallels with my own.

Thanks for reading this far. Please consider sharing, leave a comment, or check out my alter ego and other socials.





Comments